Monday, October 11, 2010

October 11-15, 2010

Mrs. Komarek's Newsletter
October's poplars are flaming torches lighting the way to winter. - Nova Bair
Dear Parents,
Thank you all so much for coming in and meeting with me last week.  I thank you for your support of your student and me.  
We will be going on a field trip this Friday, permission slips are coming home today.
Remember to bring your box tops!  Each class has a goal of collecting 800!
Curriculum News:
  • Daily Five - I feel like my students are close to being able to pick and work independently during Daily Five time.  We are still learning procedures for Read to Someone and Listening.  When I feel like they are ready we will start small reading groups.  Word Work with individual words has started and has been somewhat of an adjustment.  I think we will be having a test this Thursday, due to the field trip on Friday.
  • Math - We are working on Topic 3, which is on Multiplication.  Mrs. Sherratt and I are collaborating and spliting our class so that each student is having his or her needs met.  So far I am very pleased with the progress and understanding that I am seeing.  Please continue to work on multiplication facts at home.  
  • Science - Students will be working with plant samples and learning how to classify plants and animals.
  • Social Studies/Art - The kids are in tribes and are working together to become better!  This is a fun, hands on unit.  Students will be putting yarn into balls and then learning how to weave.  Each student will also be doing a report on their tribe.
Important Dates:
  • October 11, Columbus Day & Assembly
  • October 12, Happy Birthday Katie!
  • October 13, Happy Birthday Willie!
  • October 14, Marvin & Jesse play
  • October 15, Kolob Canyon Field Trip
  • October 16, Happy Birthday Karsen!
  • October 20, End of 1st term
  • October 21, 22, Fall Break
  • October 25, Harvest Holiday
  • October 27, Mystery Book Report Due
Homework:
  • Daily Math & Language #8, due on Friday (students have been doing a great job turning in homework each week)
  • Nightly reading, mark minutes on October reading calendar
  • Mystery book reading
Thank you for your support, feedback, and most of all, your children!  4th grade is a great place to be! 
Michelle Komarek

No comments:

Post a Comment