Friday, September 3, 2010

September 7-10, 2010

Mrs. Komarek's Newsletter
Any successful journey begins by packing your luggage full of imagination. - Katherine Palmer Peterson

Dear Parents,
I hope that you all had a great 3 day weekend. It was a great time to spend with family! I am looking forward to the month of September; learning new things in math, parent helpers starting at the end of the month, starting small groups with reading and spelling!
Students will be assigned their first report today. Look for instructions on how to do the report and an information sheet about the county.
I am so impressed with this class, every student has turned in their homework the first two weeks! "WOW!" Let's keep up the excellence of working together! I do need you parents to sign their homework.
Progress Reports will be coming home this week. Please look for it in your students folder, look it over, sign and return it. This way I know that you saw the report.
Curriculum News:
  • Daily Five- Students are working on Read to Self and Writing. We are still learning procedures of each as well as working on stamina, learning about different genres, and the writing process. Students will be given a new group of high-frequency words this week, included in this group are four science vocabulary words. We will work on these words for two weeks, then individual words will be coming home.
  • Math - This week in Math students will still be working on Numeration. We will be reviewing Money/Decimals today, Money and Making Change on Wednesday and Thursday, Problem Solving on Thursday and Friday. Next week I will be assesses students on our first chapter.
  • Science - We are still learning about the different land zones of Utah, what type of animals and plants live in each. This week our focus will be Deserts and Wetlands.
  • Social Studies/ART - We are learning about the counties of Utah and still working on Utah Symbols. Last week students created the different land zones of Utah using salt dough to form mountains, rivers, lakes, deserts and transition areas. They are great!
Important Dates:
  • September 10, School pictures
  • September 13, Back to School Bash
  • September 17, Cedar Canyon Field Trip
  • September 18, (I put the 17th last week) Turn off TV for a Week
Homework:
  • Daily Math & Language #3, Due on Friday
  • Nightly reading, 20 minutes a night. Keep track of minutes on August/September reading calendar
Thank you for your amazing children!
Michelle Komarek

No comments:

Post a Comment